Cost of Living Support Icon
polling station

How do I stand as a candidate?


You can stand for election as an independent candidate or as a group/party political candidate.  If you are a member or plan to join or stand as a member of a political party their agents will work for you.  If you are standing as an independent member you will need to seek advice from different agencies.


To become a councillor you must put yourself forward for election.  Unless a casual vacancy arises within a ward, elections take place on the first Thursday in May once every five years.


To stand for election you must complete nomination papers which are made available on the relevant upcoming elections page, which will also specify the deadline for submission once known, or can be requested by contacting Electoral Services.


To stand as a candidate you will need to provide:


  • A nomination paper signed by you and a witness
  • Home address form
  • A certificate from the party's nominating officer, authorising you candidacy and use of the party's description and emblem

All documents must be returned to Electoral Services by email to or in person by making an appointment with the Electoral Registration Team


Can I also stand as a Community Councillor?


For further information in relation to standing as a Community Councillor please contact Electoral Services using the above link.