Agenda Item No. 12
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 15 October 2018
Report of the Cabinet Member for Learning and Culture
Pencoedtre High School - Acceptance of Tender
Purpose of the Report
- To seek Cabinet approval for the acceptance of a competitive tender for the refurbishment and new build works at Pencoedtre High School.
- That Cabinet note this report and recommendations considered in connection with the Part II report later in the agenda.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To allow the Part I and II reports to be considered together and to permit the execution of formal contracts between the Council and the successful bidder.
- The 21st Century Schools and Education Programme is a unique collaboration between the Welsh Government and Local Authorities. It is a major long term strategic capital investment programme with the aim of creating a generation of 21st Century Schools in Wales.
- Band B is due to commence in 2019 and will run until 2024. The Council has been developing its new strategic investment programme to deliver this phase of the programme.
- On 10 November 2017, the Education Secretary Kirsty Williams announced that the Council's proposals met Welsh Government's investment objectives and subject to approval of the individual business cases, Welsh Government is committed to supporting all of the projects presented. This was confirmed in writing on 6 December 2017.
- On 8 August 2018, Welsh Government approved the Outline Business Case for the 'Transforming English and Welsh Medium Education in Barry' project. The proposal is to fully refurbish Pencoedtre High School and Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg, build an extension for Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Morgannwg and a complete new build for Whitmore High School.
Relevant Issues and Options
- Tenders for the works have recently been sought. The tender process utilised the South East Wales Schools and Capital Funding (SEWSCAP) Contractor Framework.
- 7 tenders were received and opened on Friday 7 September 2018. These have subsequently been evaluated by the Vale of Glamorgan Council and AECOM (consultant cost manager) based on the criteria stated in the tender documentation.
- Further details of AECOM's tender evaluation are outlined in the Part II item on this agenda.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- The capital cost for the refurbishment and new build elements at Pencoedtre High School is estimated to be £16.623m. This amount is currently included within the Capital Programme.
- The project is jointly funded by the Council and contributions from Welsh Government via the 21st Century Schools Programme.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- New build elements of the scheme will meet BREEAM excellent rating, reducing the running costs and carbon emissions arising from the building. They will receive an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) of A.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- It will be necessary to enter into formally executed contracts with the successful bidder.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no direct crime and disorder implications as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no Equal Opportunities implications for this report.
- This report helps supports Council objectives, set out below by delivering the projects within Band B of the 21st Century schools programme.
- The Council's Wellbeing Outcome 3: An Aspirational and Culturally Vibrant Vale, Corporate Objective 5 'Raising overall standards of achievement'
Policy Framework and Budget
- This is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- On 12 December 2016, Cabinet considered the feedback on the consultation to transform English medium secondary education in Barry. (Minute C3396)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Learning and Culture.
Jane O'Leary, 21st Century Schools Programme Manager
Trevor Baker, Head of Strategy, Community Learning and Resources
Gemma Jones, Accountancy
Mike Walsh, Legal Services
Paula Ham, Director of Learning & Skills