Agenda Item No. 8(a)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING: 18 JULY 2018
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 30 APRIL 2018
C291(a) Reshaping Services – Income Generation and Commercial Opportunities – Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol (L) (Scrutiny Committee - Corporate performance and Resources) –
Cabinet was updated on the Advertising and Sponsorship activities being undertaken as part of the Council's Income Generation and Commercial Opportunities Strategy
As part of the Council's Reshaping Services Programme, Cabinet would be aware that a range of income opportunities were being actively pursued as a way of generating revenue at a time when the Council's budget was under significant pressure.
Cabinet approved the Income Generation and Commercial Opportunities Strategy in October 2017, which set out a framework for considering existing and new income streams.
The strategic approach to the identification, classification and implementation of income generation and commercial opportunities involved categorising potential opportunities into one of the three income categories; buildings, assets and physical resources, new products and services and existing products and services. There were three income or commercial approaches which were then explored to realise each opportunity; fees and charges, delivery models and sponsorship. The strategy’s objectives and income principles were then considered and applied as appropriate to ensure that any decisions made were consistent, robust and congruent with the delivery of the aim of the strategy.
To ensure that advertising and sponsorship activity entered into by the Council was undertaken consistently and in line with agreed processes and procedures an Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol had been drafted and could be found in Appendix A attached to the report.
In line with the protocol in Appendix A, various project teams had been convened to explore opportunities for attracting advertising and sponsorship opportunities in respect of the Council’s assets (website, pool cars, beach huts, parks and sports facilities), and services. The following areas would be explored for potential sponsorship and advertising under the Council’s Income Generation and Commercial Opportunities Strategy.
Sponsorship of Summer Events Programme
The Council’s Summer Events programme comprised a number of exciting and popular events including Transport Festival, Beats, Eats and Treats, Cadstock Mustic Festival, Barry Island Summer Weekenders and Penarth Summer Sounds Festival. Together these events attract more than 80,000 visitors annually.
Locations and Prime Sites
Consideration would be given to developing opportunities associated with locations and prime sites across the Vale of Glamorgan which could be used to generate income as a result of securing sponsorship and/or advertising. The following outlined some of the early areas for consideration. Further work would be undertaken to investigate these opportunities in more detail, with further reports being brought to Cabinet as deemed appropriate, in accordance with recommendation 3 of the report.
In a similar way to Beach Huts, the report proposed that consideration be given to attracting sponsorship and/or advertising on the Council’s fleet of vehicles to include pool cars and other fleet vehicles. Given the visibility of these vehicles, both in and around the Vale of Glamorgan and regionally it was thought that the Council could consider selling advertising space on these vehicles or seek sponsorship for groups of vehicles. A project team had been established to consider opportunities in this area.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(2) T H A T the Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol contained in Appendix A attached to the report be approved.
(3) T H A T subject to resolution two above, delegated authority be granted to the relevant Head of Service in consultation with the Leader, Managing Director and Section 151 Officer to promote and agree sponsorship and advertising opportunities and award necessary contracts in line with the Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol contained in Appendix A attached to the report. Where it was deemed appropriate to do so, further reports to Cabinet on specific opportunities would be reported.
(5) T H A T the use of the urgency procedure, Section 14.14 of the Council’s Constitution (urgent decision procedure), to enable the use of the Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol to be authorised to promote sponsorship opportunities associated with the summer events programme 2018
Reasons for decisions
(2) To ensure that advertising and sponsorship activity was undertaken consistently in line with agreed processes.
(3) To ensure advertising and sponsorship activity was managed in accordance with the Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol and, where in certain circumstances it was deemed to be appropriate to do so, that individual reports be brought to Cabinet in due course.
(5) To enable the use of the Advertising and Sponsorship Protocol to promote opportunities associated with the summer events programme 2018 whilst Scrutiny Committee consider this report in order to maximise the opportunity to secure funding due to the time of the year and timetable of events.