Cost of Living Support Icon

Request a Council Tax or Non-Domestic Rates Refund

As council tax and non-domestic rate payments are mostly paid in advance, where there is a change in your circumstances a credit may occur on your account. These credits can be refunded to you once they have been checked.


A refund will only be processed if your account is in credit and you do not owe any other amounts of council tax or other local authority debts.


If you move within the borough, any credit on your previous address will usually be transferred to your new address. If you have moved outside the borough and have over paid then a refund will be arranged.


Reasons why you might have a credit for council tax:

  • A discount has been awarded

  • An exemption has been awarded

  • End of liability to pay council tax 

  • Council tax reduction has been awarded

  • Property banding alteration

  • Overpayment of council tax


Reasons why you might have a credit for non-domestic rates:

  • An exemption has been awarded

  • Relief has been awarded

  • Alteration to the Non-Domestic List

  • End of liability to pay Business Rates


Please note: This form is a request only and does not guarantee a council tax or non-domestic rates refund.  


All requests for refund will be subject to a validation check. If the request has been approved, we will issue a refund via BACS only.


Council tax accounts in two or more names - If a council tax account is in joint names and payment is to be made to only one of the council tax payers, then written authorisation will be needed from the person not receiving the payment. Please download a paper refund application and return to us with signatures of all account holders


Refunds for executors - Please download the paper refund request form.  On completion, please note you must provide a copy of the will, grant of probate or letter of administration to confirm you are one of the executors of the estate in order to apply for a refund.


Refunds for executor accounts will only be issued on receipt of one the evidence documents above. Failure to provide this evidence will result in the refund being withheld.


Please complete, scan/photograph, and upload paper forms and evidence using the ‘miscellaneous’ drop down on the ‘Council Tax Enquiry’ eform.



Request Refund Online