Cost of Living Support Icon

Vehicle Crossovers

Section 184 of the Highway Act 1980 imposes responsibilities on the occupiers of premises adjoining adopted highways and confers powers to local authorities over the construction of vehicle crossings where such movements of motor vehicles occur regularly.


It remains illegal to cross the pavement without the necessary permission being first obtained for an appropriately constructed footway formation and dropped kerb or crossover that can withstand vehicle loadings.  The location of such crossovers needs to be reasonably safe and crossings of the footway should not cause damage to pavement layers and kerbs.


pavement damage 1 (3)

Control is necessary to prevent damage to the footway or verge and ensure as far as possible, the safe access and egress from the premises.


Please Note: Planning consent is necessary when any address relating to an application for a vehicle crossing is situated on a classified road or within a conservation area.






New Crossover: £262 (2024.25) 

Widen an Existing Crossover: £262 (2024/25) 


Apply for Approval to Break into Public Highway

For further information: