Cost of Living Support Icon

Choosing Childcare 

Information on childcare in the Vale of Glamorgan including types of childcare and financial help with childcare costs

Looking for childcare?FIS logo

Search for childcare, activities for children and family support services in the Vale using the new Childcare Information Directory. 

 Click here to search and filter by your needs 


Or contact us directly about your childcare needs by completing our online enquiry form. All data will be stored in line with data protection regulations, as set out in the Vale of Glamorgan Council’s Privacy Notice


Online Enquiry Form



Choosing Childcare?

Cwlwm have produced this handy booklet explaining the different types of childcare, what to look for when choosing childcare, financial help and lots more:





Financial Help with Childcare Costsbigstock-Stickman-Illustration-of-a-Mot-168892283


  • Child Benefit 

    You get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16 or under 20 (if they stay in approved education or training). Only one person can get Child Benefit for a child. It’s paid every 4 weeks and there’s no limit to how many children you can claim for.


    By claiming Child Benefit you can get National Insurance credits which count towards your State Pension, your child will automatically get a National Insurance number when they’re 16 years old. If you choose not to get Child Benefit payments, you should still fill in and send off the claim form.


    If you or your partner earn over £50,000 you may have to pay back some of your Child Benefit in tax if your (or your partner’s) individual income is over £50,000.


    You can claim Child Benefit as soon as you’ve registered the birth of your child, or they come to live with you.



  • The Childcare Offer for Wales  

    A maximum 30 hours of combined education and childcare will be offered to eligible parents of 3 to 4 year olds for up to 48 weeks of the year. 


    The 30 hours will consist of a combination of the existing Foundation Phase Nursery (12.5 hours) open to all 3 and 4 year olds and the additional funded childcare (17.5 hours) for eligible families. During the school holidays it will just consist of 30 hours funded childcare, for 3 weeks per term (9 weeks in total for the year).


    For more information please visit the Vale of Glamorgan Childcare Offer web page: 



  • Working Tax Credits 

    Working Tax Credit is designed to top up your earnings if you work and are on a low income. If you work a certain number of hours you may be able to claim an extra amount to help cover the costs of approved childcare, this is referred to as the ‘childcare element’ of working tax credits.


    Working Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people. You can only make a new claim for Working Tax Credit if you get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it. If you cannot make a new claim for Working Tax Credit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over).



  • Better Off Calculator 

    Use the Government's Better Off Calculator to find out how much you could get towards registered or approved childcare. 



  • Assisted Places Scheme 

     Funding is available to support pre-school children with a disability/additional learning need or in need of socialisation: and children aged 4-11yrs with a disability and/or additional learning need, whose parent/carer are on low income (household income of less than £25,000) or are in need of socialisation. 

    The funding allocation is towards supporting the child in a childcare place for a child between the ages of 18 mnths—4yrs at a registered (with Care Inspectorate for Wales) childcare setting for sessional preschool care or 4 –11 years for out of school provision.


    Funding is reviewed every 12 weeks. 



  •  Student Finance Wales - Childcare Grant

    Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive extra help towards the cost of registered or approved childcare. Childcare Grant (CCG) helps with childcare costs if you have dependent children aged under 15 (or under 17 if they have special educational needs) in registered or approved childcare.



    You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 50% to qualify for CCG. You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the childcare element of Working Tax Credits, Universal Credit, NHS-funded childcare grants or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC.



  •  Discretionary Learner Support

    If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Learner Support. You apply to your learning provider (for example your college) for Learner Support, how much you get depends on your circumstances.


    The money can help pay for things like accommodation and travel, course materials and equipment and childcare; you must be 20 or over to get help with childcare costs.



  • Universal Credit  

    Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.


    You may be able to claim back up to 85% of your childcare costs if you’re eligible for Universal Credit; this is referred to as the ‘childcare element’ of Universal Credit, in order to be eligible you (and your partner if you live with them) will usually need to either be working - it does not matter how many hours you or your partner work or have a job offer.



  • Child Tax Credit

    Child Tax Credit is a benefit that helps with the costs of raising a child if you are on a low income, however Child Tax Credit has been replaced by Universal Credit for most people.


    You can only make a new claim for Child Tax Credit if you get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it, got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it. If your child is 16, you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday. If they are in approved education or training, you can claim until their 20th birthday. If you cannot make a new claim for Child Tax Credit, you may be able to apply for Universal Credit (or Pension Credit if you and your partner are State Pension age or over).


    The amount you can get depends on how many children you’ve got and whether you’re making a new claim for Child Tax Credit or are already claiming Child Tax Credit. Child Tax Credit will not affect your Child Benefit and you can only claim Child Tax Credit for children you’re responsible for.





Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)


Childcare provision that provides childcare for children under 12 years, for more than 2 hours a day outside the child's home, for a reward, must be registered with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).


The CIW register, inspect and take action to improve the quality and safety of services for the wellbeing of people in Wales.


All registered childcare settings have to meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare for children up to the age of 12 years:



Nannies and au pairs don’t need to be registered with the CIW. However, they can become Approved Home Childcare Providers through CIW. 





Contact Us:

  • 01446 704704