Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 27th September, 2017
Report of the Managing Director
Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report May 2016 - April 2017
Purpose of the Report
- To present the 2016/17 Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to Council in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
That Council receive the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report for the period May 2016 - April 2017.
Reason for the Recommendation
To receive the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report as required under the Council's Constitution.
- The Annual Report has been produced in accordance with Section 7.4.4 of the Council's Constitution which states that 'Scrutiny Committees must report annually to Full Council on their workings, with recommendations for their future work programmes and amended working methods if appropriate.'
Relevant Issues and Options
- In previous years the report has been submitted to the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen Group for initial consultation/comment prior to it being formally reported to all five Scrutiny Committees. However, since the Scrutiny Committee Chairmen/Vice-Chairmen Group has not met since the Local Government Elections and membership of all the Committees has changed, the Democratic and Scrutiny Services Team have therefore prepared the report for submission to comply with the requirements of the Constitution.
- The report details the role of Scrutiny, how Scrutiny is undertaken in the Vale of Glamorgan and highlights key achievements from the work of each Scrutiny Committee, significant events during the year and future working, specifically in relation to the Council's agreement that the work of Scrutiny should be closely aligned to the four wellbeing objective outcomes that form the main basis of the Council's new Corporate, Plan which was published in April 2016.
- For information, Members are advised that the Annual Report is only "reported to Council" as opposed to it requiring actual approval. The Annual report itself is attached as an Appendix to this report.
- The Annual Report has to date been approved by four Scrutiny Committees, with any suggested comments having been inserted into the document. The Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committee is due to consider the report at its meeting on 21st September, 2017 with any comments or suggested changes being incorporated / reported to Full Council.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no direct financial implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- Sustainability issues are considered by all Scrutiny Committees as a matter of course although there are no issues as a consequence of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The Council is required to comply with the Local Government Act 2000, the Local Government (Wales) Measures 2011 and the subordinate legislation in relation to the Scrutiny function.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- The Council's Corporate Plan 2016-20 contains an Integrated Planning Action - "Review the current arrangements to support effective scrutiny and facilitate more robust challenge and improved accountability". The Council's approach to performance management has been reviewed as part of this process and to ensure effective scrutiny of the Council's cross-cutting Corporate Plan actions.
Policy Framework and Budget
- Section 7.4.4 of the Council's Constitution requires the Scrutiny Committees' Annual report be presented to Full Council and to include details of future work programmes.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The reporting of Scrutiny Committees' Annual Reports are an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation is necessary. However, the report will also be published on the Council's website.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee Minutes 2015/16
Report to Scrutiny Committees : September 2016
Head of Democratic Services