The Council has powers to control unauthorised development and may take formal action in order to remedy a breach of planning control where it is expedient and in the public interest to do so.


The breaches of planning control the Council deal with include:

  • Erection of buildings, extensions or alterations to buildings
  • The material change of use of land or buildings
  • The breach of a condition imposed on a planning permission
  • The failure to comply with plans approved as part of a planning permission
  • Advertisements
  • Works to or removal of a Hedgerow or a Protected Tree


Planning Enforcement Register 


The Council will endeavor to acknowledge complaints made in writing, via the online complaint form or by e-mail within 5 working days.


Written complaints to be investigated according to the priority allocated to the complaint: Priority 1 within 1 to 5 working Days, Priority 2 within 5 to 15 working days and Priority 3 within 28 working days. 


Assessment of the severity of the breach within 28 days


Advising complainants of the resolution of a case within 28 days of that resolution.


Publicising policy and procedures on enforcement.


Make a Complaint

If you suspect a breach of planning control has taken place, you must either complete the online complaint form or send a letter outlining your concerns.



When you first approach the Council you should supply as much information as possible about the site and your concerns, including:

  • The exact location of the building and the site – the full address and post code is most useful.
  • A full description of the activity or works and approximate dimensions of the development 
  • When the works or activity started.
  • The names and addresses of any owners, occupiers or companies involved.
    You must also provide your name and contact details. In most cases anonymous complaints will not be investigated. Whilst the Council will endeavour to keep your complaint confidential, it may be necessary to disclose it if the matter reaches an appeal or a request is made under the Freedom of Information Legislation

Planning Enforcement

Vale of Glamorgan Council

Dock Office


CF63 4RT