Cost of Living Support Icon

Elective Home Education

Elective Home Education – sometimes referred to as ‘EHE’ – is a term used to describe when parents choose to educate their children themselves instead of sending them to school.  


In Wales, as with the rest of the UK, full time suitable education is compulsory, but going to school is not as long as the learning provision is made otherwise by the parent.


When a parent decides to ‘home-educate’ their child / children, they need to notify the school in writing. The school will remove the child from their register and inform the Local Authority so that the Local Authority can offer you support and to ensure that the provision for learning is suitable.


Parents of children who have not been on roll at a school before, or who have moved into the area can notify the Local Authority direct that they are home educators to ensure they do not miss out on the support available to EHE learners in the area.


What do I need to teach to my child / children?

Under section 7 of the Education Act 1996 it is your duty as a parent to make sure your child receives efficient full-time education suitable for their age, ability and aptitude and for any special educational needs they may have.


This can be done either at school or otherwise. Education is considered efficient and suitable if it allows a child to achieve their potential and prepares them for adult life. Children have a right to an education under Welsh law and as part of The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child. (UNCRC) under Article 28.

What happens if it appears that I’m not providing a suitable education?

Under section 437(1) of the Education Act 1996, local authorities have a duty to intervene if it appears that parents are not providing a suitable education. Your local authority will offer to make a home visit with the aim of helping you overcome the difficulties within an agreed timescale.


If you fail to demonstrate to the local authority that you are providing a suitable education, and they feel it necessary for your child to go to school, they must serve a School Attendance Order (SAO) on you. For more information on SAOs, please see the All Wales Attendance Framework:


All Wales Attendance Framework

Support from the Local Authority

A member of the Inclusion Team will then contact you to offer a meeting or home visit in order discuss resources available to you, approaches to learning and different schemes of work that could be used. After the initial visit, annual follow up contacts will be then be offered to support your home education provision and to establish that it meets or continues to meet the legal requirements of being suitable efficient and full time.  


Although you as parents are taking full responsibility for your child’s education, some parents may choose to engage tutors and we can give advice with regarding this type of arrangement.


Due to a recent Welsh Government grant, we are also now able to offer a range of support to EHE learners to help them to meet the obligation of providing a suitable full-time education and to help ensure home educated learners are able to access formal qualifications and a range of other supports.  

Learners with Additional Learning Needs (ALN)

Learners with Additional Learning Needs (ALN) can be home educated, although we will need to ensure that their ALN needs are suitably met by the EHE provision. However, if learners are attending a special school, their names cannot be removed from the school’s register without the consent of the Local Authority.

GCSE Exams and other qualifications

The ongoing assessment and practical assessment component of many standard qualification courses such as GCSEs can restrict the choice available for EHE children. However, International GCSEs (iGCSEs) are available to home-educated pupils and other options may be available through local colleges. We can offer support and guidance on how these qualifications can be gained.


If you are considering educating your child / children at home please contact the Inclusion Team for an information booklet, which will give you full information on the policy and practice of the Vale of Glamorgan Local Authority: